There is a phenomena making the rounds in psychology and education right now that is called "growth mindset". Growth mindset is basically the idea that intelligence can be developed . Watch this video to learn more about growth mindset. With this in mind, I have to wonder if I can learn to be good at the art of homemaking, I just am not there yet. If that is, indeed the case, then the next stop is to learn more and practice more when it comes to homemaking skills.
Sometimes, as adults, we feel like we are either good at something or we aren't. We feel like the time for growth is behind us and we are who we are. Growth mindset would tell us differently. I am a firm believer in growth mindset when it comes to children, but I am a less certain about what that would look like in adults, especially women who stay at home, particularly once all the children are in school.
I know many women, myself included, whose struggle with depression and anxiety increases dramatically once all of their kids are in school. I have to wonder, at least in my own life, if that is, in part, because there is no external force requiring growth in our lives at that point. When I took classes, was working, or had small children at home, there was a constant need for emotional, mental and physical energy to be focused on meeting the demands of those responsibilities. Now that I am home, without kids all day the most mental energy exerted comes when I have to decide what setting to put the load of clothes on! For my own mental health and the peace and wellbeing of my family, I am deciding to try, for the next 6 months to learn more and love more about the art of homemaking. At the end of 6 months, if I still find that I'm a grumpy crummy homemaker, then I'll know that I gave it my best shot and that it really is just not for me. And I'll be ready to go back to work in the fall!
No comments:
Post a Comment